Orkut was an early social networking site created by a Google employee in his allocated Google development time. Although it was created several years ago, a lifetime by Internet standards, it does not have the buzz other social networking sites like MySpace has.
I setup an Orkut account about three years ago and have not updated it since.
This morning, I decided to login and update my Orkut profile.
First, Orkut has many profile options. Page after page of personal, professional, and location questions pop up in the profile. You can include business interests, network, job information, location and much more in your profile.
Once your profile is updated on Orkut, you can grow your network with friends. And according to Orkut, there are about 9 million friends on Orkut making it hard to ever be lonely.
The drawbacks with Orkut are:
- Your email address is public.
- Orkut is heavy into the social side of social networking. It is not a business tool.
- Like most social networks, It is heavily tilted towards certain geographical areas.
- The Home page is very minimal. You can dress it up, but it is nowhere near as useful as LinkedIn or appealing visually as MySpace.
- Communities are labeled, yet adherence is not enforced. Thus a business community may have a celebrity fan page.
- Orkut still has frequent technical outages (one occurred this morning while I was updating my profile).
I like Orkut. It had the potential, when it started, to become a trendsetter and possibly a MySpace-like contender.
But Google either did not see the value then, or did not allocate the resources to make it grow. (My own little conspiracy theory, is Google saw Orkut growth in international markets like Brazil and Pakistan and not in the U.S. Therefore, Mountain View had little interest at the time in further Orkut development).
Like I said, I updated my Orkut profile and will check it more often then every three years, but I don't expect to see much happen with this site. Unfortunate.
Market Me First - The Positive Career and Work Action Plan Market Yourself | Make Money | Be Happy
------------------ In Black and White -------------------------------
Since 2005. Market yourself. Find better work. Make a name. Survive Layoffs. Be successful.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.