Market Me First - The Positive Career and Work Action Plan Market Yourself | Make Money | Be Happy

------------------ In Black and White -------------------------------

Since 2005. Market yourself. Find better work. Make a name. Survive Layoffs. Be successful.

Wednesday

Blogger One and Blogger Two, Explorer, blurbs

Blogger One and Blogger Two

Yesterday, Blogger, who hosts MarketingMe was down for the better part of the day.

By down, I am referring to the "Old Blogger" platform, not the new Blogger platform.
(But it also meant that no new blogs could be created on either platform from what I understand).

This was not fun. Although it may sometimes not seem like it, I try to update my blog everyday, sometime several times a day. My blog is advertised in several key locations and I use it to promote your truly every often.

Anyway, my wife uses the new Blogger. She asked me over the weekend to customize her template, add some features, etc.

The new Blogger, which everyone is being recommended rather strongly to move to, has some neat functions and some not so good features.

First, I really like the tag (Blogger calls them labels) function. I do not know if they automatically update in Technorati, but I don't think this happens based upon my initial research.

Also, bloggers can download their template at any time and save a copy to the harddrive - a big boon especially for those who edit often and early.

However, despite cool features like labels, Blogger has moved to XHTML formatting for all the html in the templates. That means redoing all of the link formats, etc. which were in saved previous templates.

It also means learning a new syntax for Blogger template modifications. Sure it is nice to learn something new, but now when you only have 15 minutes available to make a post. I spend about an hour just trying to update some META tag stuff on her blog template. Fun.

Maybe I sound Luddite (I hope not, it goes against my personal beliefs and I am not ready to become a grumpy old man.. yet), but I wish there were some options with Blogger not completely clear to me.

Again, if a Blogger correction is needed, please let me know. I love to admit I am wrong and stand will gleefully post the reasons why right here.

Explorer

Have you downloaded and tried Explorer 7? I have it. It is very slow. I checked on the web and found several others with the same problem.

Did Microsoft test this product? Did they test it with real people, real computers and the real internet? Did they test it in 2006 before they released it or back in 1995 when connections were slow too?

IE 7 has become Eiyeeeee!7!. Microsoft needs to fix this.

Squidoo

Squidoo has a new feature called Plexodex.
Basically, you create a list of your own choosing, "Top Batman Villans", "Top Songs of 1985" and other get to vote your choices up or down the list.

Still trying to figure out the value here. But it kills time.

Speaking of Squidoo, Seth Godin has a new entryon his blog that is a good read worth the time. Although I can't think of many famous people who "quietly" donate large sums of money to certain causes (I guess if I did know, it would defeat the purpose, eh?), there is a great line -
"hiring expensive executives OR firing the ones who don't grow or change".
Good point. One could also alter that to include any employee.

Have a great week! [note to self - check spelling.]

No comments:

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.