Here's the deal: You got pink slipped. Hey, it's not your fault. The company is cutting headcount, closing its doors, moving. It was out of your hands.
Your job search however has turned up nothing where you live. In fact, the unemployment rate where you live is higher than neighboring towns or states.
So what do you do?
At this point you have a few choices.
1) Do nothing. Maybe something will work out. In the meantime you can live off your severance, savings, refinance your home and max out your credit cards.
2) Change careers. Maybe there is availability in something you had never considered.
3) Work one place and live another. For instance, fly/drive a significant distance every Monday to your place of employment and return home on Friday (or Thursday if your boss is really nice).
4) Move entirely.
Point 4 is where we run into trouble. Too many don't want to move under any circumstance. Sometimes the reasons are good - children in school, a sick relative to care for, spouse's job...
But all to often, the reasons sound more like this:
- "My old job will come back. I want to be here when it does."
- "I was born here. I don't want to live anywhere else. All my friends are here."
- "Somebody should create more work here. The government should do something about this."
- "Move where? The rest of the country is not for me. How do I know the jobs won't disappear there either?"
If this sounds like you, please consider what you are saying and thinking.
You know your job is gone. And it is gone forever. Nobody is going to reopen that plant, or office and rehire all the former employees.
Further, if you don't work soon, you will have nothing left to call your own.
Sometimes it is hard to let go, but it is worse to be forced out.
Relocation is not the end of the world. Consider it an extended vacation from home.
You are going somewhere for a few years until you get back on your feet. And one things turn around, you can return - a happier and more mature person. Your home town will still be waiting for you. Perhaps after being away, you may not want to return!
Need to lose weight? Click Here!
Market Me First - The Positive Career and Work Action Plan Market Yourself | Make Money | Be Happy
------------------ In Black and White -------------------------------
Since 2005. Market yourself. Find better work. Make a name. Survive Layoffs. Be successful.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.