Market Me First - The Positive Career and Work Action Plan Market Yourself | Make Money | Be Happy

------------------ In Black and White -------------------------------

Since 2005. Market yourself. Find better work. Make a name. Survive Layoffs. Be successful.

Wednesday

Career Mapping

Do you career map?

Glossary: Career map; to forward think and plan your professional life for optimum success.

Case: I have a friend who at the age of 8 years decided he wanted to be a CPA (I know, I know, most boys want to be firemen or astronauts). Over time, and with advice from his father (a practicing CPA), he put together a career map which took him to the age of 30+ years. After carefully deciding upon schools, tests and outside interests, he now owns a very successful practice.

This may sound extreme; most of us get into college and change our majors a few times, graduate, work a few different careers before settling into the two or three jobs we will work for long periods of time.

This type of activity is no longer prudent in today's economy or work environment.

In a world where companies jettison whole divisions with the stroke of a pen, none of us can afford to let life carry us.

Career map your life now.

For instance, I work in technology sales. Ten years ago, I was very successful selling internet access to corporate clients - in 1996, that was a very profitable field to be in. Today, internet access service is a price driven commodity with tight margins and vast and varied competiton. I had to move on.

Since then, I have sold network systems, software and cellular equipment.

My next sales position will be in some form of hybrid connectivity hardware and will involve my partial ownership in a startup company.

Afterwards, I will continue to work in technology, however, my work will be in consulting and have already targeted some like minded companies.

I know when I would like to "pseudo-retire" although I will probably continue to work until the put me out to pasture.

I have dates and details for all of these plans formulated in my head and as part of my life strategy map.

It is not hard to career map and plan accordingly for your future.

As I have always said, "Nobody is responsible for your career except you".

No comments:

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.